As part of Novell's HackWeek IV, I decided to learn and develop a GUI application that allows me to post blog entries quickly, without much effort (without using a browser).
Why I wrote this?
- I wanted to make myself capable of developing desktop applications (as a Kernel developer I have spent very little time/no time on GUI development). Learning new stuff is always a lot of Fun!
- I have always found using browsers for writing blogs is time consuming and takes little more effort for me.
- None of the existing applications convinced me.
- BlogPost is a simple, easy to use blog that is aiming to make blogging experience better. It
currently support blogger.com only.
- It's a alpha software and tested to limited extent only so it will have rough edges (use it with care :-)).
- I wrote this application for Fun and Learning (actually I learnt GTK/PyGTK and Python when I developed it). So don't expect it to be bug-free or quite solid.
- It's a GPLv2 Software.
- It's not a feature-rich a.k.a bloated application that is intended to replace web blogging.
- It's aimed at developers/users not for professional bloggers who might need more features.
- support posts to blogger.com
- Offline blogging (save drafts locally and send later)
- Basic formatting
- Select blog names to post
- Labels/Tags support
Want to try BlogPost?
- python-gdata (gdata api's) package
- python-base and python-devel if not installed already (which usually are present in the default installation of openSUSE).
(Currenly x86_64 and i386 rpms available)
BlogPost x86-64 RPM
BlogPost i386 RPM
Install the rpm the usual way:
The tar ball can be found here:
BlogPost tar ball
To install from source tar ball
- Extract the source: tar -xvjf blogpost-0.1.tar.bz2
- cd blogpost-0.1 and run ./setup.py install
- Run `blogpost' to launch the application after install
Feel free to leave your comments, feedback!